If you want to beat the February blues this is the blog for you!
February is a tricky month. It’s cold outside and its dark early. We have already had a month of this (thank you January!) and February feels like it’s just one long continuation of greyness…
But do not despair, if you get your mind right then the truth is, it doesn’t matter what the weather is outside, you can feel amazing. Trust me!
January may have seen us put a lot of energy into trying to control everything to be happier or have a better life. We may have tried to control our bodies, relationships, our money, our future, our business, our families and our kids with our new years resolutions and we may have had great intentions and those may also have calmed down a little by now… and that is ok too because in actual fact one of the best things we can do in pursuit of happiness, is learn to let go.
It seems we’ve been playing by the wrong set of happiness rules and it’s time to rethink the happiness game.
It’s now about “letting go, because freedom is the only condition for happiness.”
Here are my top Ten Lessons in Letting Go:
- Stop trying to be perfect, it makes us feel inferior and desperate to change; owning our uniqueness makes us feel worthy and excited to evolve.
- Other people will judge, so doing our best and accepting that people will form opinions is far more empowering than worrying about what everyone else thinks. Have your own back and see how life starts to change.
- Love will be messy at times, and unless you’re in an unhealthy relationship, lean into the messiness. That’s where the intimacy is. No relationship is perfect.
- Tomorrow is uncertain and despite all our planning, plotting, worrying, or dreading, what will be will be and no matter how scared we may feel, it will always work out how it is meant to work out. Trust the timing of your life.
- We can’t change other people. No matter how much we wish someone would act differently, it has to be his or her choice. Acceptance is your answer here.
- We are going to redefine ourselves. It’s tempting to cling to roles and ideas of who we are, but who we are is always evolving. Life is far more fulfilling if we see changes as adventures.
- We will hurt at times. Pain is inevitable. It’s not a sign that something is wrong with us, or our lives; it’s a sign that we’re human, and we have the courage to care and live fully. It’s also a sign you are growing. They didn’t call it ‘growing pains’ for nothing….
- We have to forgive ourselves. No one deserves to cower in shame and carry guilt, it won’t do any good. If we want to be happy we need to cut ourselves some slack and believe we’re doing the best we can.
- There are some things we may never understand. Much of life is a mystery, and it’s human nature to try to solve it. Peace is learning to embrace the open-ended questions.
- The worst that could possibly happen might not be that bad . If we’re willing to consider the possibility, we may find opportunity in that “horrible” thing. At the very least, we may recognise we’re OK – still here, still strong, still breathing. Remember, it’s all working exactly as it should be.
Putting in to practice even one of these tips will help you let go and surrender this month.
It’s warming to know.
You can do it!